Improvers Casting Courses
Improvers course on the River Spey with Ian Gordon 2021
Casting from the Concrete path on Tulchan B Beat
I host a series of 3 day Improvers fishing and casting courses during the spring months on some of the most exclusive private beats on the river Spey.
This course is aimed at people who have fished for some time and feel they are not getting the best from their equipment, knowledge or fishing in general.
This improvers course focuses very much on the individual and fishing as well as casting. We also introduce sinking lines at this stage.
• Single Spey Cast with Sink Tip.
• Double Spey Cast.
• Circle C
• Snake Roll
No matter how experienced, this course is designed to focus on casting and fishing, utilising Ian’s wide knowledge of both and covering tactics which will make you a better Salmon and Sea Trout Angler as well as a proficient caster.
• Casting off the opposite shoulder - Why?
• The principles of casting with sunk lines and sink tips. Tactics - Why?
• Teaching you to Fault Find.
• How to fish a typical pool with the floating line.
• Lunch at the hut.
• Hooking, Playing, and Landing fish – The theory!
• Instruction and practice followed by a couple of hours of actual fishing in order to be able to relax and practice the techniques learned during the day.
• Knots, How to tie flies and leaders.
• Those Casting and Fishing courses include casting/fishing/tackle theory with questions and answers. Although light-hearted, those sessions I find invaluable in the overall development of individual understanding.
The 3-day Fishing/Casting course will be for up to six people per instructor and booked on a first come first-served basis.
As this is course focuses on both "fishing" and casting, I pick the course venue based on where I feel we have the best chance of catching a salmon as well as learning. Salmon tend to run to the middle and upper reaches of the Spey at this time and is the first weeks of the season where, given good conditions, I would go to the river "expecting" to catch a fish.
Individuals and Corporate groups of up to 6 people can also be catered for on the Rivers Spey, Dee, and Tay.
All tackle can be supplied, accommodation and transport can be arranged.
Larger groups of up to 12 can be arranged also but will require both myself and assistant.
The bespoke fishing packages are designed to suit individual requirements and expectations.
Prices quoted on the booking page does not include accommodation.
Dates for 2021 Improvers Courses
15th - 17th March Tulchan B Beat x 6 rods - Course now Full
5th - 7th April Tulchan B Beat and D Beat x 6 rods - 2 rods remaining